Monday 13 December 2010

Ideas

I thought about a couple of names for my magazine but the one that stuck in my mind was 'MODE', I thought that this would be a good name because it stands out like 'VOGUE' or 'GQ'. 'MODE' is actually a magazine from the fictional television program called 'Ugly Betty', the magazine mainly focuses on Fashion. Even though the magazine that I will be creating is going to be a Music magazine, I wanted to add in style. Style makes the pictures complete when I look through the pages of any magazine, whether its Fashion, Music or Health. There will always  styling to make the picture whole, and that means choosing the right clothes, accessories, hair and make-up etc.
I started looking on the internet for artists and their work for inspiration,
I found artists like Andy Warhol and Roy Lichentstein who kept in the theme of 'Pop Art'. I really liked the colour blocking, I thought that this would be a really good idea for the concept of the cover and the double page spread. Then the idea came to me of 'Pop' music, relating it to 'Pop Art'. I really liked Andy Warhol's Marilyn Manroe portrait, I looked at the different versions of it that he had created. I also looked at examples of Litchensteins work, it was quite different from Warhol's work but it had some of the same elements combined.

Then I remembered the Music Video 'Rude Boy' By Rihanna, and saw that she had used colour blocking and some elements of Warhol in there. For example she used bold colours and adding effects to the picture. The video is directed by 'Melina Matsoukas'. There was quite a buzz about her copying the video by M.I.A 'Boyz' which did looked a little but similiar but comapred to 'Rude Boy' the visual effects are much better. Other artists such as 'Katy Perry' and 'Nicki Minaj' have started to wear bright bold colours which goes with the whole colour blocking concept.



I also came up with the idea of bringing 'Barbie' into it, I thought that it would go well with the concept because of its bold and girly idea as I am going to doing the double spread on a female pop artist. Styled as barbie posing with barbie dolls, only the barbie dolls would be life sized as the her. Karl Lagerfeld came up with the same idea but the opposite, he decided to use 'Barbie' dolls and use real male models. The french model featured is 'Baptiste Giabiconi'.

So hopefully, my magazine will consist of features from the Artists Warhol and Litchenstein, bright colours and colour blocking, a pop artist and elements of barbie.

2 comments:

  1. Your Coursework blog is off to a good start, well done!
    Look at examples of Music Magazine Covers and the types of music that would fit your Magazine too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bank.

    Look into Raygun magazine, specifically the issues by Rankin for style models.

    AS Mrs A said you need to start analysing covers, you can only make an 'arty' magazine if you can find examples of one which exists.

    ReplyDelete